Saturday, December 11, 2010

The girl who cried wolf...or the case of the bad mommy?

Everyday around 2pm I put the twins down for a nap (or a "jump in their cribs" depending on if they are tired or not) and send Katie to 'quiet time'. This is my last chance of the day to get any un-interrupted work done.

On this particular day I was talking on the phone in my room. I heard Katie yelling "mommy". Now when Katie is in quiet time, she is in her own little world of "playing mommy" or "princess". More then once I have responded to a call of "mommy", only to be given a look that I have interrupted a pretty important imagination and Katie telling me that she wasn't talking to me.
So when I heard her calling "mommy" I didn't think much of it and kept chatting away (it wasn't even a work call!). After about 10 mins, I realized she was still calling out "mommy", let me defend myself at this point and say that it wasn't a consistent "mommy, mommy, mommy"; it was more of a "mommy" wait a minute or two and then "mommy". Anyway after about 20 mins I was off the phone and decided she was going to wake up Marcus and Addy if she didn't quiet down so I went in her room to tell her so. This is how I found her.

After I told her to be quiet, she said ok but can you please help me get out.

20 mins of me laughing and chatting on the phone with my friend, and she had fallen into her baby doll pack-n-play and couldn't get out.

2 comments:

Mary Mennenga said...

I don't think it a bad mommy it just a kid being a kid and if she was hurt, trust me you would know. She sounds a bit like me at that age. I'm 48 now but my Mother reminded me of the odd things I did as a child as I'm sure you will as well. Letting a child play and learn. Then ask how they think things works, That's what my Mom used to do and said it's the root of most good humor.

candicetheresa said...

I love it. hilar.