Sunday, January 15, 2012

Thankgiving and everything else...

So I am kinda stinking at this blogging thing lately.  But I feel like I don't have enough time for anything and I would rather hang out with my kids then blog about them, so...

Nov came and went and we were super busy.  We pulled Marcus and Addy out of soccer bc they were not playing (everyone really harassed me about it--hinting that if I don't teach them now to follow thru then they will never learn--seriously!  They are 3 yrs old!)

Katie did great.  She loved soccer and really pushed herself to progress.  She didn't score any goals this year, but she really went after the ball, and wasn't afraid to hip check if needed (and she was the smallest kid on the team).  We are thinking in Spring she can be the goal scoring machine.





Addy cheering Katie on

Then Uncle John when on a mission-Oklahoma City here comes a Dalia!
We are so proud of him.  We met the family in Raleigh to go to the temple with him and then had a big family dinner.  It was a good thing we all went bc the kids were all sick the weekend of his farewell so I made the trek to the mountains by myself.


 Katie had a speaking part in the primary (kids) program.  She memorized it with no effort and spoke up when she said it at church in front of everyone.  The funniest part was Addy...she was around while we where practicing, I would have Katie read her part and then tell her to say it without looking.  Later I overheard Addy saying the part to herself, seriously word for word.  When I walked in on her and told her good job, she said, "and mom I can say it without looking" and covered her eyes and repeated the part.

Mark turned the big 30--yeah, we love him!  We got him an ice cream cake, it was the twins idea, I tried to talk them into one for their birthday but they insisted on a cake and cupcakes.  But, when Mark's birthday rolled around they would not let an ice cream cake go.


I didn't think it was as good as I remembered but the kids sure liked it.



Katie learned all about Thanksgiving at school.  She dyed her own Native American costume and made a headdress and necklace.  She told me all about everything that happened on the first Thanksgiving.  The preschool version is so pleasant.





Anyway...
We spent Thanksgiving this year with my family on Dufuskie Island.  In my mind it was a hassle to get there (I think I was the only complainer) but once we arrived it was well worth it.  I arrived Monday with the kids and Mark came down Weds with my brother Joey and his family.


Rest stop on the way down

We drove a few hours from Charlotte and parked the car and then took a ferry to the island.  The kids were so excited to ride a boat.  To top it off, my brother Tripp and family were on the ferry with us, so the cousins were excited to see each other.  (And Hannah came with me so that she could help me keep the kids from falling overboard.)  On the trip to the island we were joined by dolphins swimming and jumping alongside the boat.  I don't think it could have gotten any better.


We were met at the docks by Scotia, Bryan and Caleb on golf carts to take us to the house.  As I was walking down the ramp pushing the stroller of bags, Katie's backpack rolled off and into the water.  All of the workers on the dock stared at it, no one did anything...I seriously thought they were going to make me jump in as I watched it starting to sink.  Finally, some guy got a hook and rescued it right before it went under.


The kids disappeared within mins of walking into the house full of their cousins and aunt and uncles.  

The first two days there the weather was amazing.  The kids played in the water in their bathing suits (I was a slacker and didn't take any pictures of this).  The island had some really cool tide patterns so there were times when we had a ginormous beach to walk on.  There were also dolphins everywhere.  On Wed when Mark got there, Marcus and I took him down to the beach and the dolphins where swimming as far out as the kids had been playing the day before.

When Mark arrived the weather cooled downed a little but it was still warm enough to enjoy the beach.







Hannah, Me, Addy and Marcus


One day we took Marcus and Addy (Katie was with cooler people) out on the golf cart for a ride.  We ended up on a golf course that was closed for the season.  There just happened to be a golf club and a golf ball in the cart.  We had a great time hitting the ball around, until Mark decided to show us how strong he was and hit the ball into the pond, that was the end of our illegal fun.

(Let me just insert here how much I hate blogger sometimes, it just deleted a whole paragraph for no reason, and while I am complaining, I will just add that the reason it has taken me so long to get this post and the future ones out is because it took me 3 tries to get these stinken pictures on.)

Thanksgiving day was great, we all made something, so there was lots of good food.  It was a little interesting though because we were on an island with no grocery store so there was some creative substituting going on to make up for the ingredients we forgot. 

Katie brought her Native American costume to show everyone.  She was so excited but when it came time to be the center of attention she got suddenly shy.



some of the grandkids and younger siblings

The greatest part of the trip was that Marcus had boys to play with the entire time.  There were no tutus (not that we brought any to the beach anyway) or princess crowns (those either); just pure sticks, cars, balls, jumping from couch to coffee table to couch, and pool table and pool sticks (I wonder if anyone will be able to actually play on that table again).

There were some really cool tree stumps and roots on the beach, so our last day we took some family pictures.  If we had planned ahead a little we would have done it with better light.  Oh well, thanks anyways Chris for taking them.





Carson and Katie






Oh and did I mention that we got to spend so much time with Mark that we almost forgot that he works a job that is always trying to steal him away. 


2 comments:

shellydinger said...

Even if they are far and few between, I always love seeing what your family is up to and how much everyone is growing!

Johnson Family said...

Love the update-what a great trip. I can't believe that John Isaac is on a mission-so exciting!