Sunday, May 16, 2010

My next 30 years...

(Mark bought me a whole cheese cake from The Cheesecake Factory for Mother's Day and my birthday. I ate a piece every night in between Mother's Day and my b-day.
I only shared on the two special days!)

It's weird to turn 30.
It makes me think of Tim McGraw.
What am I going to do with the next part of my life? When I was a teenager, if you had asked me to tell you my plans for the next 10 years of my life, I could have told you all about college and travel, a mission and maybe even marriage--I might even have thrown in a child. Point is, I had it all planned out-I knew what was going to happen and when. And it happened.

But the last 5 years has been a roller coaster of unknowns and the unplanned-Katie joined us a little earlier then I thought I wanted, and while Addy was planned, Marcus wasn't supposed to be here for another few months. Pittsburgh wasn't my idea, and Charlotte was 5 years from now. Mark was supposed to be at his firm by now, and I should be putting paint on the walls of my own home. Instead, I am wishing I could at least hang up my cool pictures from China--but my husband doesn't want to put nails in the wall of a 6 month rental.

I have too many kids way too close together, I have moved 5 times since Mark and I got married 5 1/2 years ago. And, I am STILL working this job that I thought would just put me through college and grad school.

But, I wouldn't change any of it. (Maybe not even the job??? Maybe the job???).

So what have I learned for my next 30 years?
1. I still love Tim McGraw
and
2. STOP PLANNING,
it is much more fun this way
(not that I ever had anything planned for after I turned 30, who ever thought I would get this old?).

3 comments:

Richele said...

what a great picture of you guys!

and you had me singing tim, too.

you guys are going to catch up with us in this crazy moving stuff soon if you aren't careful!

Gina said...

Love this post. So true. Life can't be planned. Happy 30! You look fabulous!

Em said...

This post is awesome. It's very fitting with the title of your blog.

I cannot BELIEVE how big your kids are getting. Katie is gorgeous and Marcus and Addy are, too!

I LOVE the pictures of them playing with the water in the back yard--hilarious!