Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Adventure...

As we watched our stuff being loaded into the moving truck and going to...STORAGE, Mark and I were both on the verge of a mental breakdown.  This has all been too much for us, but we were trying to stay positive for the kids.  We called it an "Adventure", Katie was so excited.


The kids hung out with our neighbors while Mark and I finished packing and directed the movers.

The kids with John our neighbor, they helped him "move" everything from his room to the steps, they even packed it in boxes.

Then around dinner time the kids and I got in the car and headed to a friend's house for dinner, leaving Mark to deal with everything else.  After dinner we drove to my cousin's studio apt.  She lives about 15 mins from the house we are building.  Ashley has two kids, a daughter a couple months younger then Katie and a son a month younger then the twins.  Needless to say, all the kids were super excited about living so close to each other.  Bennet asked if we could stay forever. (please no)

Getting stuff to storage took longer then we expected so Mark ended up sleeping at the old place (technically he was squatting, but he was gone in the early morning so no one ever knew).  I spent that night on a tile floor while all the kids slept together in the bed.  I think that night set the tone for the week.

The first day we went to the Discovery Place and met Mark for lunch.



Addy on a bed of nails.
That afternoon the kids took a nap, and I did paperwork on the tile floor of the bathroom.   Tuesday we met Bethany and Hannah for a day at Sarah's pool.  Addy started swimming by herself while we were there.  She was so proud of herself.  Because she had been practicing the moves from her float all summer she could instantly swim as well as Marcus and Katie.  She had been afraid to jump in the pool before, but once she realized she could swim, she realized she could jump in--it got a little crazy with all three of my kids trying to swim independantly.

 Wednesday we went wedding lace shopping with Bethany. And Thursday we met Hannah (she was babysitting Talia and Will) at the Nature Museum and then went to the mall.  Every night the kids would play with Bennett and Miller when they got home.  

At night we had Addy and Katie sleeping on our Love Sac (a big bean bag for those non-Utah people) and Marcus slept on his old crib mattress.  Mark got home late every night that week so I would watch Roswell on my laptop with my earphones in while the kids slept.


I don't think I officially lost it until Thursday.  But our dag-blasted builder was taking his sweet time on everything and it was looking like it would never going to be finished.

Friday morning I left with the kids and went to my parents house.  Sat was Bethany's bridal shower.  The kids had a blast, but I was losing my mind.  Mark and I looked at short term rentals, but none seemed to work out or be a good idea.  Friday afternoon the electricity went on in the house.  So Mark and I  decided we were moving in--like it or not Mr Builder. (He has told us we could move in before we closed, and we had already signed a lease, but then he kept pushing back the actual move-in date, yet NOTHING was really being done at the house.  We figured it would get done faster if I was in the house to "push" people.)
My mom offered to watch the kids so Sunday morning after church I drove to Charlotte to help Mark move in.  When I arrived the house was a construction zone.  I spent the day cleaning, etc trying to make it livable for the kids.  At this point everything was working except the gas and a few odds and ends with plumbing and electric.  That night we moved in.  My mom kept the kids until Tuesday morning, and my sister Flossie brought them to me.  I spent those day stressing out and trying to get things together.  The kids spent those days sliding down homemade slip'n'slides (read more about this here-lol-http://ericandbethy.blogspot.com/2011/07/ghetto-water-slide.html/) and playing with animals.  The cat even had kittens while they were there.  It truly was an "adventure" for the kids--they loved every sec of it.









1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

Er, I hope things get better soon. I hope you know you're always welcome to stay at my place! PS-I love the random goat in those pics-do your parents have goats now?