Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My plug for the orphanage

After Mark got home from Florida, I flew to San Fransisco area with my little sister Hannah. The purpose of the trip was to be a guest speaker for a group doing fund raising for the orphanage. The function was put on by Pan en la Boca, who had been helping us out for the past few years. We had a pretty good turn out, and despite some tecnical difficulties, lots of fun.

I heard on the radio today that Guatemala has the highest number of people suffering from hunger. In an effort to help minimize the starvation, we have 3 different feeding programs for the children in the community the orphanage is located in; 1. for seventy 5-12 yr olds, we feed them lunch 3 days a week; 2. for twenty 1-4 yr olds, we feed them protein fortified milk shakes and fruit and 3. for twenty infants-we provide formula for babies whose mothers have no breast milk from malnutrition (read more at http://casadesion.blogspot.com/). My parents are headed down for a month over Christmas, they will be taking down suitcases of formula for the infant feeding program. (We started this one after an employee's nephew died because his mother had not breast milk). So if anyone is looking for a place to spend their Christmas charity--here it is. Or anyone (EVERYONE) who wants to mail me a can or two of formula--WalMart or Target brands are great--I will get it to my parents. Send me a comment if you need my address.

One of the babies in the program

Hannah and I spent an extra day in not so sunny California so that we could see Kristin. It's funny how you can be a mom and be married for so many years (5 is a lot, right) and still act like a crazy college girl when you get together with your old roommates. Kristin and I even stayed up to 2 am one night talking--something I would never pull these days.


We spent a day seeing San Fransisco, eating yummy Chinese and visiting Alcatraz--it was pretty cool.

Me and Hannah



Hannah and the Golden Gate in the background--
which we never got to see close up because by the time we got there it was to foggy

love the sign


2 comments:

Gina said...

Hey Erin! Send me your address to my email. If you don't have it let me know. Thanks!

shellydinger said...

Erin can I get your mailing address as well? ladylerma@hotmail.com
- Shelly Dinger